Main Picture

Main Picture
A monument to Marshal of the Soviet Union Georgy Zhukov. (May 11, 2012 by John)

Sunday, May 22, 2011

Full of Hot Air

            One item that causes culture shock for Americans living in Ukraine is the deficiency in clothes dryers. I can recall as a child having a humble clothesline in the backyard of our house. We would let the sun and the wind dry the clothing during the summer. The linens would end up smelling like fresh air and sunshine. However, since that time, it seems to me that clotheslines have become as rare as hen’s teeth. This is an old-fashioned technology that our parents and grand parents used. Nearly all Americans are unwilling to hang their clothing out to dry today. Most Americans have dryers that can evaporate the moisture from clothing within an hour of taking them out of the washing machine. Homeowners in America live in houses that were designed to have room for a washer and a dryer. Americans typically would have their laundry room on the lowest floor of the residence. But times have changed and now most homes are designed so that these appliances are on the bedroom level. It is a little different with apartment dwellers. A lot of these people use shared coin operated equipment provided by their landlord or they take their clothing to a Laundromat. Many apartments don’t even have room for a washer or dryer.
            Things are a little different in Ukraine. I have never seen a clothes dryer in a Ukrainian apartment. Maybe they have them hidden behind a secret panel with their toasters and air conditioners? Even if someone wanted to get one there usually is no place to set it. The only major household appliances designed to fit into Ukrainian apartments are refrigerators and washing machines. I have told many of my Ukrainian friends how lucky we are in the United States because of the labor and time we save with this apparatus.
            With all that being said, while I’m writing this I am at my sister’s house in America. Her dryer is broken. She is not somebody that needs to keep up with the Joneses. She knows that there are excellent appliance sales during the Memorial Day weekend, so she is delaying this big ticket purchase. Actually, she is thrifty and patient enough that she has been doing this for months. She has clothing hanging all over the inside of the house. I really like the ones she hangs from the ceiling fans. I guess spinning around like a merry-go-round dries them quicker.  I feel like I’m back in Ukraine. Next thing you know she will be making borsch for dinner.
            Of course, while the Ukrainian method takes more time; it is better for the environment and not using these energy hogs saves some money. Moisture and lint are byproducts of the tumble drying process and some people leave lint outside so it is available for birds to use to make their nests. I’m not sure what the birds in Ukraine make use of for their nests. When I permanently return to America and set up house; I’m certain that I will use a clothesline part time but  believe me,  I could never live without the modern marvel that is the clothes dryer.

Posted by John

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ukraine Hryvnia Currency Converter Widget
living in Ukraine